Wednesday 22 January 2014

Word Wednesday #4



Hello, hello!

This week's words are from Steven Pressfield's book "Do the Work" which I am listening to at the moment. The book has been described by Derek Sivers as "A true manifesto. A call to action. A kick in the butt for any creative person. Great thoughts on overcoming the resistance to creating." You can read his personal notes here. He very generously shares his notes for many books. 

I really love the idea of starting before you are ready and I think it's something I need to try to do a bit more. Too much preparation and worrying 'what if's' can really suck the energy out of a project. I've been trying to get a venture off the ground since October, I know it's a good idea but too much time spent preparing has really made me doubt my abilities and every time I'm faced with that project's tasks on my to do list, I procrastinate like mad! So it's certainly a lesson for the future! In the meantime I am using the iPad app Unstuck to help me come up with a way out for my current problem project.

I will let you know what I think of the book - it seems very useful so far, but in the meantime I would definitely recommend Derek Sivers' own book 'Anything You Want' particularly on audiobook as he has a really positive, upbeat voice - you can hear him smile and its very motivating! He talks about his experiences as founder of CD Baby and gives lots of sound advice and tips for start ups which can be applied to all manner of business and not just musicians. Find out more here.

The fonts used here are all by Kimberly Geswein and are A Little Swag and Love You Like A Sister. The arrows and zig zags are from her Flavor and Frames 3 font. Love Kimberly's fonts. 

So, what you could you start before you are ready?

Thanks for reading my blog. Please feel free to comment, share or say hello! It's been really nice to start getting feedback and retweets. Nice to know I'm not talking to myself!  
Cheers,
Frankie x

No comments:

Post a Comment