Tuesday 22 April 2014

Studio Tuesday #8 Jessica Swift

Good Morning! 

I'm back after a very sunny Easter break with a real treat. In today's Studio Tuesday the spotlight is on my favourite surface pattern designer, Jessica Swift! If you're a regular to this blog you'll probably already know this as I often make mention of Jessica and her work. In fact the last time I posted an Essential Resource it was all about Jessica's book Jump, Trust, Repeat. You can read my review here or just go ahead and buy the book here. It's a fantastic book which I constantly refer back to. 

There's so much to love about Jessica's work. Her patterns are vibrant, fun and eye catching thanks to her unique sense of colour and her ability to create quirky, original repeats. I find both her work and her spirit inspiring and recommend subscribing to her blog for a little colour and cheer landing in your inbox!

So read on for more about Jessica and if you feel you would like to be the featured designer in the coming weeks, please get in touch.

Enjoy,
Frankie x


Name/Company or Studio name: Jessica Swift
Location: Portland, OR, USA

Safi

Where and how did you start your surface pattern design journey?
I taught myself to create repeat patterns in 2008, while living in Atlanta, Georgia. I had discovered pattern design through design blogs, and I was instantly obsessed and knew it was my path. I didn't know how to use Adobe Illustrator, so it took me a while to finally learn to successfully create a repeat; but when I finally did, I couldn't be stopped. I created new patterns every day,  I decided to exhibit at Printsource in January 2009, I was contacted by someone from T-Mobile about licensing a couple of my designs for cell phone cases... it all began to happen very quickly, which was a blessing, because it gave me an early boost of confidence to keep going, and I took it as a sign that I was on the right path.

How do you approach a project/piece of work or collection?
I just dive in and start. I never begin with a plan. My work always evolves as I create it -- I never know what it's going to look like or how it's going to turn out. The most important part of a project, for me, is the point when I decide to just begin, and to try my best to get out of the way and let creativity flow through me.


Esmerelda
Favourite pencil/pen?
I love a plain old Pilot V5 pen the most.

Sketchbook or loose leaf?
Loose leaf

How do you keep yourself on track/organised when working on a project?
I live by to do lists. I use daily lists, weekly lists, longer term lists..... I break projects down into smaller chunks and then schedule the steps into my calendar at the beginning of each week. I'd be a mess without my lists!

Nocturna

What are your creature comforts in your studio/workspace?
Having my cat, Juneau, on my lap, hot tea in a mason jar, sage bundles for smudging, wearing yoga pants every day......

Music, radio, stories or silence?
All of the above! Different times and moods call for different sounds.

Night owl or early bird?
Early bird

Illustrator or Photoshop?
Illustrator

What size art board do you design repeats on?
8 x 8" or 9 x 9" usually.

Kazan

Dream clients or design goals?
I'd love to work with Chronicle Books at some point, and I'd love to get my work into many many more stores around the country and the world.... and potentially, one day, open a store of my very own. We'll see!

Dream design destination for inspiration?
India!

Elisaveta

And what are you working on at the moment?
I'm writing a book about pattern design! It will be published in Spring 2015. I'm also beginning to put together an e-course about pattern design, which I hope to launch in the fall.

Any tips or advice you want to share with us?
Just keep making art. Make lots of it, try not to judge it, and keep moving forward. You'll be amazed when you look back years down the road at all you've accomplished and learned.

Inez


No comments:

Post a Comment