Tuesday 20 May 2014

Studio Tuesday Round Up...

Good morning!

Today I'd like to feature a little bit of a best of round up of my Studio Tuesday feature which has been my favourite part of writing my blog so far. I've picked out some of my favourite tips and presented them all here. If you would like to see all of the Studio Tuesday features so far, just click on the tag to the right of the screen. If you want to see more from a specific designer's Studio Tuesday click on their name after the quote and if you want to go their website, click on their name under each image. Hope this all makes sense! Studio Tuesday returns next week with the wonderful Genine Delahaye

Happy Tuesday!
Frankie x

Sophie Honeybelle
"If this is advice for people new to surface pattern design or business, I’d say learn the basics of running a business at the same time as you develop your design work because you still need to know how to set a budget, how to write a business plan, how to sell and so on.

Think really, really carefully before buying Facebook ads. It’s a very expensive gamble.

Join LinkedIn if you’re not already on there, it’s full of interesting groups.

Be patient. In the world of licensing everything tends to take longer than anticipated or desired." Sophie Honeybelle



Tinker & Faff
"I do my repeats in a square, but no particular size. When I came runner up in the Ideal Home Wallpaper competition a couple of years ago they wanted repeats that were the width of a roll of wallpaper – then it was 50cm, so I just did the repeat 50 x 50." Nik from Tinker & Faff



Celandine Designs
"Lay your bricks for the day!!! Don't let the concept of 'talent' scare you, don't let the amazing work of other amazing artists intimidate you. If you feel the desire to create, nurture it, support it, and indulge it a little every day. You won't even notice the progress until you look back a few years later and think 'Holy moly, is this really how far I've come??' And I promise you, at that moment you'll be the proudest thing on this earth :) But you have to lay your bricks for the day, every day." Lidija Paradinovic Nagulov



Anna London
"Make as many connections as you can! I started e-mailing people in the design world that I admired, asking them about how they got started and if they minded sharing advice with me. I used to be shy about reaching out to people and thought they wouldn’t be interested in talking to me, but I’ve been constantly amazed by how kind people are. I also put a lot of effort into creating a social media presence and I’ve come into contact with so many wonderful people that way." Anna  London



Jennie Whitham
"Never give up, I've come close several times, but it is so rewarding when you reach those little milestones. The first licensing contract, the first online feature and even just receiving positive feedback is enough to keep me going." Jennie Whitham 



Ali Benyon
"If you are new to this field then I’d say design a lot and design in many different ways. We are told to try and find our point of difference, our signature style, but how do you find that if you design in one way only (your comfortable style, the safe place you go to when you get a bit nervous). If you love a drawn quality to your work, like me, then why not try doing some really perfect pattern repeats. You never know, you may love working this way, but if you don’t try it, you’ll never know. Oh and stop being such a perfectionist. If it goes wrong, so what, no one’s watching. I believe you have to make many mistakes before you can step out on to the right path that you can call your own." Ali Benyon



Jessica Swift
"Just keep making art. Make lots of it, try not to judge it, and keep moving forward. You'll be amazed when you look back years down the road at all you've accomplished and learned." Jessica Swift


Niamh Fitzsimons
"I still have so much to learn but when I first began I never gave myself a break. I was over worked, I pushed too hard and my work and my health suffered. I had to learn the hard way that there is only so much you can do and to take lots of breaks for yourself. It will all happen when it is meant to for you without breaking your back and not to stress so much or think about tomorrow, just do the very best that you can today and keep moving forward all the time - even 1 small step a day towards your dreams and goals. Don't worry or care too much if other people like it. It is a creative process and a gift that is from something beyond us here so how can we judge it? Just be happy and grateful to be able to do what you do :) My motto is 'Art to Make you Smile'... As long as I can create art to make people smile then I am smiling too. For the rest I try to be as detached as I can be. x" Niamh Fitzsimons



Jilly P
"Keep working hard on developing your own style- I see a lot of people copying other artists work. It's fine to be inspired by what someone else is doing but be sure to do make your work yours and not a version of someone else's." Jilly P 

No comments:

Post a Comment